Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Vegetarian Chili

When I stopped eating meat, I quickly discovered that all meat substitutes were not created equal. A lot of them contain fillers, shit I can't pronounce and massive amounts of sodium making them worse for you than just eating meat itself. Others are made out of wheat gluten -not a fan at all. Then, I discovered Marjon Tofu Crumbles which are made with organic GMO-Free soybeans. Score! This product is cholesterol free, gluten free, vegan, lactose free, low carb, sugar free, pre-cooked, mildly seasoned, low sodium and ready to use. I use it to make chili and honestly cant tell its not ground beef. Check out my super easy chili recipe when I want something really quick, warm and filling but healthy. You basically just dump stuff in a pot and it only takes 30 min to make! Tard-proof.


Ingredients:

Packet of low sodium chili seasoning
1 package of Tofu Crumbles
1 14 1/2 ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 16 ounce can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 small onion diced
diced green/red pepper
diced celery
minced jalapeƱo


Saute the onion, pepper, and celery in the bottom of a pot until the onion turns a little translucent. Add the tofu crumbles and saute for about 3-5 min.  Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Turn to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 min stirring occasionally. Top with some green onion, fat free sour cream and fat free shredded cheese. 

Side note: I usually don't add the whole packet of chili seasoning and I add a little cayenne pepper because I like it spicy. I also use organic canned goods...




No comments:

Post a Comment