Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Shrimp 'Pasta' with 'Cream' Sauce



 Veggie 'pasta' dishes have become the 'it' dish lately and I wanted to try out my own healthy version. In my search for a spiralizer (used to turn vegetables like zucchini into spiraled, curly, pasta-like strands) I came across the julienne peeler for only $8 bucks at Williams-Sonoma, which does the job for a fraction of the cost! I wanted a cream sauce, and since I gave up dairy I'm faking it with this awesome avocado 'Alfredo' sauce. This dish turned out to be very filling and guilt free, I even convinced my sister and a few of my friends to try it that same night! This dish is super easy so I hope you give it a try!!


The 'Pasta"

Ingredients:

Zucchini
Yellow Squash
Carrot (which I thought of using too late to put into this particular dish)
Fresh Peas
Shrimp (pre-cooked)

2 Seeded and Diced Plum Tomatoes

'Cream' Sauce
Ripe Hass Avocado, pitted
1/2 lemon, juiced
1-2 garlic cloves, to taste
Fresh Basil or Dried Itallian Seasoning
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper

1/2 tsp kosher salt
Parmesan cheese is optional - I didn't use any because I'm off of dairy and I didn't have any of the fake vegan stuff on hand.

Super Easy Directions:
Smash all the sauce ingredients into a food processor and blend until creamy. You can add a little water if it looks too thick.
Steam or boil the peas to desired tenderness.
Julienne the veggies! Stop when you get to the seeded core because that part is too watery. Toss the 'pasta' and tomatoes in a dry pan to warm them up a bit, but do not actually cook it through or it will be mushy. Add the pre-cooked shrimp and peas to warm and mix it up. Gently toss in the avocado cream sauce using tongs. DONE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment